The Personal Narratives Premium Track provides the opportunity to investigate the fundamental concept of identity by exploring personal narratives . Students will work on ways to portray their personal experiences while simultaneously addressing universal themes of culture, history, and identity that can captivate a universal audience. The curriculum we will use is from our free Personal Narratives Track.
Enrollment is currently closed
Sign up for our email list to get Premium Track notifications
“I learned a portrait doesn’t have to be a stale, boring sitting pose but can tell a full story with emotion, with proper planning. I learned texture is crucial.
Sometimes you don’t have to draw every line, things can be hinted at or implied. I learned to push things further than you think they need to be pushed and you can always pull back if you need to later.”Jen Noelle
Premium Track Features
- 6 students only, allowing for close guidance, prompt feedback, and comprehensive attention from our staff.
- 2 live voice sessions each week.
- Voice sessions are about 60 min., held in our Discord.
- 6 week tracks only: 30 min., one-on-one review with Prof Lieu at the end of the track.
- Access to private channels in our Discord where you’ll get daily support and critiques from our staff.
- Premium Track “alumni” will continue to have access to the private Discord channels once the track ends.
When I set out, with this track, my only goal was to improve my skills in drawing a face. I didn’t know what else I could hope for, from this track. I now understand how important the facial structure is, when creating a face.
The self portrait with the palette knife has inspired me to do more self portraits and use a palette knife when I paint.Jen K.
Sample Discord Critiques
Watch a voice session
“When I signed up for this class, I was hoping to get a better handle on how to treat faces in a composition. I think I walked away with so much more.
I’ve learned to be more adventurous, to not be bogged down by the reference images, and to keep pushing past the part of art where my brain tells me that I can’t do it. I feel like I walked away with so much more from this experience than technique.
Learning to put feeling into my work, learning how a portrait doesn’t have to be overly obvious to tell a story.“Ashley Tanelle
We understand that many people have limited budgets for supplies, so our premium tracks are structured so that you can use any materials you want, within that track’s focus.
Either digital or traditional media will work great for exploring portraits. Below we provide supply lists with recommended items for each media. We are happy to provide further support, but you can work with whatever you have!
SUPPLYE LISTS: DRAWING MEDIA
SUPPLY LISTS: PAINTING MEDIA
DIGITAL SOFTWARE OPTIONS
- Limit 6 students
- Enrollment is first come, first serve
- All students are required to join our Discord
Due at Registration
- Registration form & full tuition are due
- When you submit your registration form, Prof Lieu will send you an email confirmation and a Paypal request for full tuition.
- We require 4 students to run the track.
- We will confirm whether the track is running by the Wednesday after the Friday registration deadline.
- If the track does not run, you will receive a full refund no later than a week from the Friday registration deadline.
- All payments are non-refundable if the track runs.
- There are no refunds for missed voice sessions, or if a student is late to a voice session.
- We only issue refunds if the course does not run due to lack of enrollment.
- Questions? Contact us.
Art Prof Scholarships
If we have extra spaces in a premium track after registration closes, we will open up the opportunity the apply for an Art Prof Scholarship, which is a chance to enroll in a premium track for free.
Please do not apply if you are not able to fully commit 100% to the premium track if you are selected for the scholarship. Check all the voice session dates, logistics and confirm that you can be available.
We don’t want to see an opportunity like this wasted, when there are so many people who would benefit.
We cannot make any guarantees that any scholarships will become available, it all depends on whether there are spaces after registration closes.
You’ll be asked to provide 2 essays via a Google form. Minimum 500 words, maximum 2000 words.
- Essay 1: Talk about your journey and background as an artist, how has it impacted our life, why is it important to you?
- Essay 2: Explain why you are applying for this scholarship. How will this help you as an artist in the short term and long term? What do you hope to learn and gain from the experience?