Learn ways you can create illustrations using mushroom images to invent fantasy landscapes, characters, and more. This workshop is a chance to learn how transform the raw visuals of reference photos into your own imaginary places.
Here is your opportunity to work with attention and comprehensive support from Prof Lieu!
Enrollment is currently closed
Sign up for our email list to get Premium Workshop notifications.
“Fabulous feedback from Prof Lieu as I was going along. This taught me and helped make this piece recognizable! It is amazing to see the evolution of other students work in real time. So much learning also from each other.“
Watch a Sample Workshop
How it Works
- Students will select reference photos to use from our Flickr collection of mushrooms.
- Warm up before the workshop with our Landscape Draw Alongs!
Before the workshop
- Students receive access to the Premium Workshop channels.
- Hang out in the workshop channels so we can see your artwork and site, and chat about your goals can make the workshop more efficient.
- Please know that if you have no experience with Discord, it does take some time to get set up and learn how Discord works.
- Watch this 53 second tour of our Discord for a preview.
- We highly recommend joining several days before the workshop date so you can learn the ropes, troubleshoot any problems, and get help from us to make the workshop run as smoothly as possible for you.
First 2 hours
- Students draw and take occasional breaks to post their drawings into the Discord text channel.
- On voice, Prof Lieu continually critiques drawings as they are posted in the Discord text channel.
- Each student will speak on voice with Prof Lieu about their drawings.
- A recording of the workshop will be available to workshop participants. The recording will not be available to the public.
Workshop Channels Access
- Students will continue to have access to the Premium Workshop channels.
- The week following the workshop, Prof Lieu will provide feedback and follow up resources.
- After that week, Prof Lieu will answer quick questions, but will not be providing feedback.
- Prof Lieu will write a paragraph for each student which reviews the student’s artwork made during the workshop + suggestions for how to move forward, see sample below.
You have so much going for you and your figure drawings, I love how fluid your marks are, and also how organic and fleshy the figures are in your drawings. I think you’ve got a really good balance between line and tone, and that the volume of the figures come across beautifully.
I think it would be worth thinking more deliberately about proportions. Proportions can be a really tricky thing, and it’s definitely not a skill that you can learn overnight. A lot of getting experience with the fortunes is really training your eye to make comparisons between the various parts of the figure.Prof Lieu
“What was valuable was the feedback, constructive criticism, and having extra pair of eyes to point out some of the needed improvements, meeting fellow artists that have the same mindset. It’s a very welcoming supportive group.”
- Limit 12 students
- Enrollment is first come, first serve
- All students are required to join our Discord to participate.
- We will confirm whether the workshop is running by the Wednesday after the Friday registration deadline.
- If the workshop does not run, you will receive a full refund no later than a week from the Friday registration deadline.
- All payments are non-refundable if the workshop runs.
- Students must join our Discord at least 24 hours before the workshop starts. There are no refunds if you do not join within this time frame.
- There are no refunds if a student is late or does not attend the workshop for any reason.
- We only issue refunds if the workshop does not run due to lack of enrollment.
- Questions? Contact us.
We understand that many people have limited budgets for supplies, so our premium workshops are structured so that you can use any materials you want, within that workshop’s focus.
Supply Lists: Drawing Media
overview of drawing supplies, ballpoint pen/gel pens, dip pen, brush pen markers, Caran d’Ache crayons, graphite powder, colored pencil, soft pastel, oil pastel, pencil, charcoal, ink wash, scratchboard, oil sticks