The artist statement is an essential part of the MFA application. Many candidates underestimate how impactful a well written statement can have on their application.
This workshop is an opportunity to receive feedback on your statement draft to ensure that it is an accurate representation of your studio practice for your MFA application.
Enrollment is currently closed
Sign up for our email list to get Premium Workshop notifications.
“The experience was really great, its easy to navigate, love the slides. Lots of useful information, and super helpful tips. The workshop recording provided after is a bonus, allows us to review what we may have missed during the workshop.“
Watch a Sample Workshop
How it Works
- How to write an artist statement
- Artist statement exercise
- MFA application & portfolio advice
- MFA programs area
Before the workshop
- Students receive access to the Premium Workshop channels.
- Hang out in the workshop channels so we can see your artwork and site, and chat about your goals to make the workshop more efficient.
- Please know that if you have no experience with Discord, it does take some time to get set up and learn how Discord works.
- Watch this 53 second tour of our Discord for a preview.
- We highly recommend joining several days before the workshop date so you can learn the ropes, troubleshoot any problems, and get help from us to make the workshop run as smoothly as possible for you.
- Create a Google doc in this folder.
- Copy/paste your artist statement into your Google doc.
- Prof Lieu will provide brief edits prior to the workshop.
- Limit 750 words.
During the workshop
- Each student speaks on voice with Prof Lieu about their statement.
- While Prof Lieu and a student are on voice, other students in the workshop make suggestions and interact with each other in the workshop channel.
- If there is time, we will do a Q&A where anyone can ask questions on voice.
After the workshop
- A recording of the workshop will be available to workshop participants. The recording will not be available to the public.
- Students have access to the Premium Workshop channels for one week after the workshop date. Ask follow up questions, share resources, and more.
“The workshop guide was great and well prepared. The Art Prof website and resources were terrific, it’s so great to have the warm-up videos and reference photos before the event to get prepared.”
- Limit 10 students
- Enrollment is first come, first serve
- All students are required to join our Discord to participate.
- We will confirm whether the workshop is running by the Wednesday after the Friday registration deadline.
- If the workshop does not run, you will receive a full refund no later than a week from the Friday registration deadline.
- All payments are non-refundable if the workshop runs.
- Students must join our Discord at least 24 hours before the workshop starts. There are no refunds if you do not join within this time frame.
- There are no refunds if a student is late or does not attend the workshop for any reason.
- We only issue refunds if the workshop does not run due to lack of enrollment.
- Questions? Contact us.