This Premium Track will help you sharpen your fundamental skills in order to help you create your own innovative character designs. We will cover essential skills and topicslike shape language, the psychology of color, turnarounds, expressions, poses, thumbnail sketches, silhouette, story, and more.
The curriculum we use is from our free Character Design track.
Enrollment is currently closed
Sign up for our email list to get Premium Track notifications.
Premium Track Features
- 6 students only, allowing for close guidance and prompt feedback, and comprehensive attention from our staff.
- 2 live voice sessions every week with Prof Lieu and a Teaching Artist.
- Voice sessions are about 60 min., held in our Discord.
- 6 week tracks only: 30 min., one-on-one review with Prof Lieu at the end of the track.
- Access to private channels in our Discord where you’ll get support and critiques from our staff.
- Premium Track “alumni” will continue to have access to the private Discord channels once the track ends.
Sample Discord Critiques
“100% all feedback from staff was helpful and never to be mean or to put down (like what can happen in more traditional classrooms).
It felt more like peers/friends giving a helpful kick in the rear to create things that you want to make, than a teacher forcing students to be miserable and bored making pieces you don’t even want to do.“
Watch a voice session
“The staff was amazing!! They were super easy to access, and they were very personable. All three (Prof Lieu, Cat, and Jordan) made the environment super relaxed, which made it easier to make more work and share that work with them without the fear of judgment.
We understand that many people have limited budgets for supplies, so our premium tracks are structured so that you can use any materials you want, within that track’s focus.
For this Character Design Track, you can use digital media, traditional media, or even a combination of the 2! Below are suggestions to explore.
Software List: Digital Media
Supply Lists: Drawing Media
Hear from an Art Prof Student
“I am super pleased to say that this class is a great representation of college art classes – and even better in some aspects! First, I loved the one-on-one attention we received from all three teachers.
When you’re in college, you might be in a class with 15-20 other students – and competing for attention with 40-60 other students depending on how many classes that professor teaches. This class had 6 students total, which allowed everyone to get ample individualized feedback and guidance.”
- Limit 6 students
- Enrollment is first come, first serve
- All students are required to join our Discord
- We require 4 students to run the track.
- We will confirm whether the track is running by the Wednesday after the Friday registration deadline.
- If the track does not run, you will receive a full refund no later than a week from the Friday registration deadline.
- All payments are non-refundable if the track runs.
- There are no refunds for missed voice sessions, or if a student is late to a voice session.
- We only issue refunds if the track does not run due to lack of enrollment.
- Questions? Contact us.
Art Prof Scholarships
If we have extra spaces in a premium track after registration closes, we will open up the opportunity the apply for an Art Prof Scholarship, which is a chance to enroll in a premium track for free.
Please do not apply if you are not able to fully commit 100% to the premium track if you are selected for the scholarship. Check all the voice session dates, logistics and confirm that you can be available.
We don’t want to see an opportunity like this wasted, when there are so many people who would benefit.
We cannot make any guarantees that any scholarships will become available, it all depends on whether there are spaces after registration closes.
You’ll be asked to provide 2 essays via a Google form. Minimum 500 words, maximum 200 words.
- Essay 1: Talk about your journey and background as an artist, how has it impacted our life, why is it important to you?
- Essay 2: Explain why you are applying for this scholarship. How will this help you as an artist in the short term and long term? What do you hope to learn and gain from the experience?