Art Dare Prompt
Create a travel poster based on either your hometown, or where you live right now.
Use any art media!
Text & Format
- Think about the format and purpose of a poster: where posters are seen, how people interact with a poster, what are expectations that come with a poster.
- This art dare will challenge your graphic design skills: consider how you integrate the text with images. What is the font, how large is it, where is it placed.
- Text should be part of the composition from the beginning stages! If you do thumbnail sketches, those sketches should also have the text in them.
Tell your story
- Think about what your city is know for, but at the same time, tell us about your own personal experience with the city. Show us what the city means to you, and what you think is special about it.
- Consider the people, the food, the architecture, the landscape of the city, which is specific to that city?
- Try to avoid cliché images. For example: an image of the Eiffel tower for a poster of Paris, the Empire State Building for New York City.
WPA Posters of National Parks, Alex Rowe’s travel posters, Movie posters by Saul Bass, Donald Brun, Joseph Binder, Fred Ludekens, Stan Galli, Frank Newbould, Abram Games, David Klein, Maurice Laban, Jan Lewitt & George Him, Roger Broders, Malika Favre, Bob Staake, Vintage travel posters.
In the Art Prof Discord Server, we have an #art-dares channel where you can post your WIP (work in progress), and get feedback & support during the month!
Post your artwork on Instagram, tag us @art.prof with #artprofdare. Please know that by doing this, you are automatically granting us permission to repost your art dare artworks on our Instagram account!
Submissions close on Tuesday, November 30 @ 11:59pm EST
We prefer submissions via Instagram, but you can also use the upload form. Please do not use the upload form if you submit via Instagram.
We award prizes and honorable mentions.
To be eligible for a prize, your artwork must be an original artwork created specifically for this Art Dare, and follow all guidelines.
Art Dare winner
Choose from a portfolio critique, an artist website critique, or an artist Instagram critique, or 5 months free in our Discord Voice channel.
International artists will receive 3 months free in our Discord Voice channel.