Handmade artist books are lovely objects that can be very three-dimensional with techniques like the lotus fold and meandering fold. This video demonstrates these two book folding techniques, which include book covers, archival book glue, paper, specialized tools like a bone folder, and more. The end result is a beautiful handmade artist book which you can use for sketching, drawing, illustration, painting, and more. Demo by Art Prof Clara Lieu and Guest Teaching Artist Caffrey Fielding.
- What is a meandering fold?
- What is a lotus fold?
- There are many options for book covers.
- Be sure to figure out your measurements before you cut!
- PVA glue is archival glue.
- Bone folders are terrific for making neat creases in paper and evening out papers glued to a board.
- Binder’s board is really difficult to cut, take your time.
- Creating the individual lotus folds, and assembling them together.
- Meandering folds are very flexible, you can make them go in any direction.
- Meandering folds can be a spiral, a zig zag, and more.
- Combine the meandering and lotus folds to create a new fold.
- How to fix corner pieces in the book cover to get neat technique.
As a free educational source, Art Prof uses Amazon affiliate links (found in this page) to help pay the bills. This means, Art Prof earns from qualifying purchases.