How do you start a page in your sketchbook when you don’t know what to draw, or feel unmotivated? (or both!) See a drawing demo which provides several prompts for how to get your creative juices flowing.
Contrary to the sketchbooks you see on Instagram, real artist sketchbooks are a mess, full of scraps of ideas, crummy looking doodles and drawings, and are rarely finished.
- Blind contours are an exercise where you draw with your eye.
- Blind contour drawings are very unpredictable and super fun.
- Partner up with someone else and draw blind contours of each other.
- Engaging physically with the paper is useful for blind contours.
- Consider what parts of the figure to emphasize to show personality.
- Caran d’Ache crayons vs. Crayola.
- Caran d’Ache crayons are very smooth and consistent.
- Drawing with your non dominant hand, or with 2 hands.
- Using Prof Lieu’s leftover mezzotint prints and photographs start a collage.
- Playing with dramatic changes in Procreate, inverting the colors, etc.
- Using digital media to create the appearance of traditional media.
As a free educational source, Art Prof uses Amazon affiliate links (found in this page) to help pay the bills. This means, Art Prof earns from qualifying purchases.