A lot of artists worry about what “should” be in their sketchbook, the answer is, ANYTHING! Contrary to the sketchbooks you see on Instagram, real artist sketchbooks are a mess, full of scraps of ideas, crummy looking doodles and drawings, and are rarely finished. See what your sketchbook “should” be: a glorious mess of whatever. Discussion is led by Art Prof Clara Lieu and Teaching Artists Deepti Menon and Cat Huang.
- Your sketchbook is ANYTHING you want it to be
- Sketchbooks on social media are heavily curated
- Cheap sketchbooks can be great!
- CalArts sketchbook videos
- A sketchbook can be a safe place
- Sketchbooks are “primordial” soup for artists