This video addresses how artists use cultural appropriation, and explores ownership of stories represented by visual artists. Topics covered include what the difference is between representation and appropriation, the power of personal narratives, showing classic stories, and more. Discussion led by Art Prof Clara Lieu and Teaching Artists Deepti Menon and Cat Huang.
- Artists & Black Lives Matter
- Banksy’s statement on BLM
- Dina Velikovskaya’s references to tribal art & music
- Petroglyphs in Utah
- Representation of groups in Art Speigelman’s Maus
- Lotte Reineger & cut paper animation techniques
As a free educational source, Art Prof uses Amazon affiliate links (found in this page) to help pay the bills. This means, Art Prof earns from qualifying purchases.