How do you know if a contract you received as an artist is fair? This video addresses how to spot red flags in contracts when doing freelance work, commissions, and more as an artist. You’ll learn how to negotiate terms in your creative projects that won’t let companies and clients take advantage of you! Discussion led by Art Prof Clara Lieu.
- Put your foot down!
- Red flags for a bad contract
- Keep a paper trail
- Create a project schedule
- Kill fees
- Create approval “checkpoints”
- Charging fees after a project is complete
- Tell clients to pay for delivery & framing
- Non-Refundable deposits
- Don’t start work until a contract is signed
- Payment methods
- Charging your clients late fees
- Track which clients have paid
- Hire a lawyer to review the contract