What is a “bad” illustration? This video shows a broad range of illustrations, and the opinions of several artists as to why the artworks are effective or not.
The thoughts of each artist on the illustrations then stimulates a discussion on why a specific illustration is successful or not. Discussion led by Art Prof Clara Lieu and Teaching Artists Jordan McCracken-Foster and Cat Huang.
- Collage techniques
- Unusual collage materials
- Variety of textures in collage
- Book illustration is grouped by age
- Is it fair to judge a book cover of a book you haven’t read?
- An illustration can reveal too much
- An effective illustration suggests the narrative without being too obvious
- Illustrations for books often need to be seen in context
- Does an illustration need realistic lighting to be convincing?
- Does the illustration match the emotional tone of the story?
- Integration of text and image in book covers
- Book covers are necessary to entice someone to pick up the book
As a free educational source, Art Prof uses Amazon affiliate links (found in this page) to help pay the bills. This means, Art Prof earns from qualifying purchases.