What is a “bad” figure painting? This video shows a broad range of figurative paintings, and the opinions of several artists as to why the artworks are effective or not. The opinion of each artist on the figure composition then stimulates a discussion on why a specific figure painting is successful or not. Discussion led by Art Prof Clara Lieu and Teaching Artists Alex Rowe and Cat Huang.
- Contemporary artists who want to “relive” the Renaissance today
- Artists create artwork as a reaction to events happening in their time
- How much does technical skill matter in a figure painting?
- Contextualizing figures into an environment in painting
- Keeping references to time periods consistent within a painting
- Hercules & Omphale
- Symbolism of objects in Renaissance paintings