Why are some artists overrated, while some are underrated? This video provides three examples of overrated artists, and three examples of underrated ones, explaining the specific reasons why these artists receive more, or less attention over time. Discussion led by Art Prof Clara Lieu and Teaching Artists Lauryn Welch and Jordan McCracken-Foster.
- Basquiat & Andy Warhol
- Basquiat artwork sells for $110.5 million, highest for a US artist
- Mystique around artist’s personality
- Challenges of reinventing iconic superhero characters
- Printmaking is undervalued
- Printmaking techniques are not widely understood
- Black & White artwork tends to be overlooked
- Featuring yourself in all your art
- Artwork that is “eye candy”
- Françoise Gilot. Picasso’s partner (1943-1953)
- Being a female artist in a male dominated art world
- Art that is “so bad, it’s good.”
- Is Carroll Dunham a Philip Guston rip off?