Why are some artists overrated, while others are underrated? This video provides three examples of overrated artists, and three that are underrated.
- Watch the 3 min. version
- Watch the 35 min. version
We explain the specific reasons why these artists receive more, or less attention over time.
Discussion led by Art Prof Clara Lieu and Teaching Artists Lauryn Welch and Jordan McCracken-Foster.
- Basquiat & Andy Warhol
- Basquiat artwork sells for $110.5 million, highest for a US artist
- Mystique around artist’s personality
- Challenges of reinventing iconic superhero characters
- Printmaking is undervalued
- Printmaking techniques are not widely understood
- Black & White artwork tends to be overlooked
- Featuring yourself in all your art
- Artwork that is “eye candy”
- Françoise Gilot. Picasso’s partner (1943-1953)
- Being a female artist in a male dominated art world
- Art that is “so bad, it’s good.”
- Is Carroll Dunham a Philip Guston rip off?
Join our email list and get the latest news!