The nuts and bolts of 1 point linear perspective are comprehensively explained in this video. Using stills from movies that display 1 point perspective shows that linear perspective doesn’t have to be the boring, dry, outdated technical exercise that it frequently is presented as in classrooms. Basic concepts of linear perspective, such as point of view, and how the scene and perspective can dramatically affect the narrative of the artwork are explored. Discussion led by Art Prof Clara Lieu
- Make linear perspective FUN
- Linear perspective is right or wrong
- Specific point of view
- Horizon line
- Eye level
- Vanishing point
- Vanishing lines are parallel
- Put yourself in the scene
- What if the vanishing point is not in the scene?
- Look for the verticals in the scene
- Can you teach yourself linear perspective?
- Should I use a ruler?
- Push pin, string, and tape technique
- See linear perspective in person
- Take photos showing 1 point perspective
- Estimate the vanishing lines
- Don’t overthink the process
Some links on this page are Amazon affiliate links that Art Prof earns from qualifying purchases. These earnings help support Art Prof.