Learn drawing techniques for how you can capture the immense range of expressive gestures our furry friends are capable of!
We will discuss ways to show movement in a drawing while also articulating textures and structure within a dog.
Enrollment is open!
- Prof Lieu
- Saturday, Oct 7
- 12-3pm EST
- $60 USD
Registration is due Friday, Sept 29 so we know whether we can run the workshop or not.
If we have enough people to run the workshop by the registration deadline, and there are still openings, we will continue to accept enrollment until either 1) the workshop fills, or 2) two days before the workshop date.
“Fabulous feedback from Prof Lieu as I was going along. This taught me and helped make this piece recognizable! It is amazing to see the evolution of other students work in real time. So much learning also from each other.“
Watch a Sample Workshop
How it Works
- Students can use their own photos
- Reference photos from our Flickr collection of dogs can be used too.
- Warm up before the workshop with our Animal Draw Alongs!
Before the workshop
- Students receive access to the workshop channels in our Discord.
- Hang out in the workshop channels so we can see your artwork and site, and chat about your goals can make the workshop more efficient.
- Please know that if you have no experience with Discord, it does take some time to get set up and learn how Discord works.
- Watch this 53 second tour of our Discord for a preview.
- We highly recommend joining several days before the workshop date so you can learn the ropes, troubleshoot any problems, and get help from us to make the workshop run as smoothly as possible for you.
First 2 hours
- Students work and take occasional breaks to post their artwork into the Discord text channel.
- On voice, Prof Lieu continually critiques drawings as they are posted in the Discord text channel.
- Each student will speak on voice with Prof Lieu about their drawings.
After the Workshop
- A recording of the workshop will be available to workshop participants. The recording will not be available to the public.
Workshop Channels Access
- Students will continue to have access to the workshop channels.
- The week following the workshop, Prof Lieu will provide feedback and follow up resources.
- After that week, Prof Lieu will answer quick questions, but will not be providing feedback.
- Prof Lieu will write a paragraph for each student which reviews the student’s artwork made during the workshop + suggestions for how to move forward, see sample below.
You have so much going for you and your figure drawings, I love how fluid your marks are, and also how organic and fleshy the figures are in your drawings. I think you’ve got a really good balance between line and tone, and that the volume of the figures come across beautifully.
I think it would be worth thinking more deliberately about proportions. Proportions can be a really tricky thing, and it’s definitely not a skill that you can learn overnight. A lot of getting experience with the fortunes is really training your eye to make comparisons between the various parts of the figure.Prof Lieu
“What was valuable was the feedback, constructive criticism, and having extra pair of eyes to point out some of the needed improvements, meeting fellow artists that have the same mindset. It’s a very welcoming supportive group.”
- Limit 12 students
- Enrollment is first come, first serve
- All students are required to join our Discord to participate.
- We will confirm whether the workshop is running by the Wednesday after the Friday registration deadline.
- If the workshop does not run, you will receive a full refund no later than a week from the Friday registration deadline.
- All payments are non-refundable if the workshop runs.
- Students must join our Discord at least 24 hours before the workshop starts. There are no refunds if you do not join within this time frame.
- There are no refunds if a student is late or does not attend the workshop for any reason.
- We only issue refunds if the workshop does not run due to lack of enrollment.
- Questions? Contact us.