Draw a celebrity and transform them into a monster! Techniques in Procreate and oil pastel + colored pencil are shown here as a means to illustrating these monster portraits, and approaches to distortion, drawing a range of textures and forms are explained. Demo led by Art Prof Clara Lieu and Teaching Artist Deepti Menon.
- What defines a “monster?”
- Drawing Steve Buscemi
- Drawing actress Sofia Vergara
- Conventional standards of beauty.
- What does it mean to be “ugly?”
- Exaggerating the forms of your reference photo for a portrait.
- Using wrinkles in a portrait to show dramatic expression.
- Using colored pencil for the sketch and adding oil pastel on top.
- Mixing different brands of oil pastels to get different effects.
- Drawing with other artists is motivating and inspiring.
- How to protect an oil pastel drawing from getting smeared or damaged.
- Colored pencil can be drawn over oil pastel relatively easily.
- Changing the scale of facial features to create dramatic distortion.
As a free educational source, Art Prof uses Amazon affiliate links (found in this page) to help pay the bills. This means, Art Prof earns from qualifying purchases.