Learn how to organize your finances for all aspects of doing business as an artist.
Topics we will discuss include setting up automatic payments, what platforms to use, sales tax, schedule C, how communicate your prices online, and more.
Note: Prof Lieu is not an accountant or professional financial advisor. Please contact a professional accountant for specifics regarding your financial situation.
“Fabulous feedback from Prof Lieu as I was going along. This taught me and helped make this piece recognizable! It is amazing to see the evolution of other students work in real time. So much learning also from each other.”
Watch a Sample Workshop
How it Works
Before the workshop
- Students receive access to the workshop channels in our Discord.
- Hang out in the workshop channels so we can see your artwork and site, and chat about your goals can make the workshop more efficient.
- Please know that if you have no experience with Discord, it does take some time to get set up and learn how Discord works.
- Watch this 53 second tour of our Discord for a preview.
- We highly recommend joining several days before the workshop date so you can learn the ropes, troubleshoot any problems, and get help from us to make the workshop run as smoothly as possible for you.
During the workshop
- Each student speaks on voice with Prof Lieu, while showing their sites or images of their artwork if they don’t have sites.
- While Prof Lieu and a student are on voice, other students in the workshop make suggestions and interact with each other in the workshop channel.
- There is a Q&A and discussion period where anyone can be on voice.
After the workshop
- A recording of the workshop will be available to workshop participants.
- The recording will not be available to the public.
Workshop channels access
- Students will continue to have access to the workshop channels.
- The week following the workshop, Prof Lieu will provide feedback and follow up resources.
- After that week, Prof Lieu will answer quick questions, but will not be providing feedback.
“Talking through my process when and how I draw was extremely valuable. Verbal language is extremely difficult when I’m in ‘draw mode.’
So taking the time to attempt communication to another human being, can help me successfully articulate my actions and motivations of drawing to people who may not have the visual vocabulary.”
- Limit 12 students
- Enrollment is first come, first serve
- All students are required to join our Discord to participate.
- We will confirm whether the workshop is running by the Wednesday after the Friday registration deadline.
- If the workshop does not run, you will receive a full refund no later than a week from the Friday registration deadline.
- All payments are non-refundable if the workshop runs.
- Students must join our Discord at least 24 hours before the workshop starts. There are no refunds if you do not join within this time frame.
- There are no refunds if a student is late, does not join Discord, or does not attend the workshop for any reason.
- We only issue refunds if the workshop does not run due to lack of enrollment.
- Questions? Contact us.
About our Staff
Prof Lieu has 15 years of teaching studio art at the college level, and was an Adjunct Professor at the Rhode Island School of Design from 2007-2020.