This videos provides simple art prompts that can be done in literally 10 minutes that self-taught artists can do to jump start their studio art practice. These are prompts that are easy, accessible, and quick to start with bare bones art supplies. Sometimes the toughest part of the creative process is getting started, and these prompts will get your hand moving under a low pressure situation. Discussion led by Art Prof Clara Lieu and Teaching Artists Deepti Menon and Alex Rowe.
10 min. Art Prompts
- Markmaking prompts
- Markmaking: Lines
- React to an ink blot
- Silhouette Characters
- Self-Portrait Cartoons
- Sketch from a Selfie
- Sketch your pet
- Muybridge Gesture Drawings
- Gesture Drawings of Your Hand
- Blind Contour Portraits
- Sketch while watching TV/Movies
- Draw Alongs, YouTube Playlist
- Write down something you hear and then illustrate it.
- Rapid Fire Drawing / PDF Charts
- Brainstorming: Mind Maps
- Draw sketch notes from a video
- Visual Journaling
- Leave your art supplies out, your sketchbook on the table.
- There’s always a reason or excuse we can make to not get started.
- Getting started is often the most difficult part of the process.
- Even prompts that seem absurdly easy can help you learn.
- You don’t have to show any of these prompt to anyone!!
- Prompts get you to try styles that you aren’t familiar with.
- By starting a prompt, you can “trick yourself” into working longer.
- No one has perfect, beautiful sketchbooks.
- “Thinking” prompts can exercise another part of your art practice.
- Collage is a great starting point for any artwork, you can react to the colors and shapes in the collage.
Artists & Films mentioned
- Ralph Steadman
- Eadweard Muybridge
- Jane Eyre
- Deepti’s selfie sketch
- Prof Lieu draws her guinea pigs
- Muybridge gesture drawing tutorial
- Gesture drawings of hands tutorial
- Blind contour self-portrait demo
- Sketching from TV/Movies tutorial
- Visual journaling tutorial
- Art Dare: Ink Blots
As a free educational source, Art Prof uses Amazon affiliate links (found in this page) to help pay the bills. This means, Art Prof earns from qualifying purchases.