Experiment in this workshop with techniques in abstract drawing and painting to create compelling images.
We’ll cover how spice up your media and tools, and the thinking process that comes with working in abstraction.
“I love the feedback from the instructor and classmates. It’s so much fun to be able to interact and socialize while we are all making art at once. I learn so much from others and even about myself and what works for me as an artist!“
“Having clear, varied prompts made my artistic process so much easier than if I tried to accomplish what I did alone.”
Watch a Sample Workshop
How it Works
Before the workshop
- Students receive access to the workshop channels in our Discord.
- Hang out in the workshop channels so we can see your artwork and site, and chat about your goals can make the workshop more efficient.
- Please know that if you have no experience with Discord, it does take some time to get set up and learn how Discord works.
- Watch this 53 second tour of our Discord for a preview.
- We highly recommend joining several days before the workshop date so you can learn the ropes, troubleshoot any problems, and get help from us to make the workshop run as smoothly as possible for you.
First 2 hours
- Students work and take occasional breaks to post their artworks into the Discord text channel.
- On voice, Prof Lieu continually critiques artworks as they are posted in the Discord text channel.
“I felt like this workshop really allowed you to dive in and not be afraid of potentially making ‘bad art.’ I also think that being allowed to use whatever art supplies you got is a big positive.“
- Each student will speak on voice with Prof Lieu about their artworks.
After the workshop
- A recording of the workshop will be available to workshop participants. The recording will not be available to the public.
Workshop channels access
- Students will continue to have access to the workshop channels.
- The week following the workshop, Prof Lieu will provide feedback and follow up resources.
- After that week, Prof Lieu will answer quick questions, but will not be providing feedback.
- Prof Lieu will write a paragraph for each student which reviews the student’s artwork made during the workshop + suggestions for how to move forward, see sample below.
“It was lovely to see your portrait drawings after working together in the figure drawing workshop! You’ve got so much energy and rigor in your portraits, seems like oil pastel brings that out of you very well. What’s terrific about the portraits you did during the workshop is that every portrait truly feels like a unique person, with their own gesture and personalities.
I’d love to see you keep going with oil pastels, some things you could try would be increasing the quantity of pastel on the paper 4x. I know that sounds absurd, but the oil pastels become incredibly rich at that point and you can get sumptuous passages of color that aren’t possible with less on the paper.
I also think it would be work some anatomical basics in the face; nothing super complicated, learning about the structure of the eye socket and jaw bone would make the portraits more volumetric.“Prof Lieu
“I enjoyed getting feedback from Prof and the other participants, and getting fresh eyes on my shop and accounts! It was very specific and implementable.“
- Limit 12 students
- Enrollment is first come, first serve
- All students are required to join our Discord to participate.
- We will confirm whether the workshop is running by the Wednesday after the Friday registration deadline.
- If the workshop does not run, you will receive a full refund no later than a week from the Friday registration deadline.
- All payments are non-refundable if the workshop runs.
- Students must join our Discord at least 24 hours before the workshop starts. There are no refunds if you do not join within this time frame.
- There are no refunds if a student is late, does not join Discord, or does not attend the workshop for any reason.
- We only issue refunds if the workshop does not run due to lack of enrollment.
- Questions? Contact us.
About our Staff
Prof Lieu has 15 years of teaching studio art at the college level, and was an Adjunct Professor at the Rhode Island School of Design from 2007-2020.