What do you need to do to become a full-time artist? A lot of artists assume that being a full-time artists is a form of artistic validation, when actually it’s a lifestyle choice. Is being a full-time artist the right fit for you? Find out in this video why, or why not.
Many artists are surprised at how many skills are involved that have little to do with the art making process: networking in your field, business skills, marketing and publicity, keeping track of invoices and contracts, understanding legal topics, and much more. Discussion led by Art Prof Clara Lieu.
- Why do you want to be a full-time artist?
- “There are many ways to be an artist.”
- Being a full-time artist has nothing to do with your worth as an artist
- Being full-time artist is a specific style, is it a good fit for you?
- Don’t aim to be full-time to validate yourself, there are other ways!
- There is no formula to being a full-time artist
- You have to set your own path
- You have to constantly hustle and create opportunities for yourself
- Becoming full-time can take years to establish yourself.
- Freelance is “feast or famine”
- 70% is business, 30% is making art
- Do your own paperwork, or hire people to do it for you.