See colored pencil techniques for drawing a scene of tea and scones. Techniques shown in colored pencil include how to layer colors, how to create gradients and blend to get specific colors, and how to create a balance of saturated and muted colors, and more. Demo led by Art Prof Clara Lieu.
- Being selective about what you choose to bring out in your drawing.
- Layering techniques with colored pencil.
- How to sharpen a colored pencil with a utility knife
- Keeping the colored pencil blunt to cover large areas faster.
- Squinting at the reference photo before you start drawing.
- Starting out by blocking in the negative space.
- Creating a solid line sketch so you can confidently block in colors.
- Drawing the pattern and then building up the form and lighting.
- White colored pencil can be effective for adjusting colors.
- Varying the physical pressure with the colored pencil.
- Using shapes and colors around an object to define the edge.
- Changing the placement of the objects from the reference photo.
- Faber-Castell Albrecht Durer Artist Watercolor Pencils (36 Pack)
- Stonehenge Warm White Paper
- Utility Knife
Materials provided by
As a free educational source, Art Prof uses Amazon affiliate links (found in this page) to help pay the bills. This means, Art Prof earns from qualifying purchases.