This video explains VALUE, one of the Elements of Art. Topics include using value as a means of creating dramatic lighting and contrast, how to create subtlety with value, and fostering an illusion of a broad range of greys. Examples from both art history and contemporary art are shown to illustrate how value works. Discussion led by Art Prof Clara Lieu and Teaching Artists Alex Rowe and Cat Huang.
- Value chart with gradients
- Preferences with pencil brands?
- Looking at art with a value chart
- Making a color image black & white
- Dramatic vs. subtle value
- Value & lighting
- Value in pencil illustrations
- Grey tones are the hardest to do!
- Night paintings