- Use items from the grocery store to observe from life in order to create an alien landscape.
- Gathering objects from the grocery store.
- Arranging the objects into a composition and lighting the scene.
- Thumbnail sketches with line, value, and color.
- Final artwork.
Grocery Store Tips
- Search for a wide range of textures: items that are very coarse vs. items that are very smooth, shiny, bumpy, etc.
- Aim for a variety of heights in your objects, so items that are tall and thin vs. items that are more short and flat.
- Tiny plants can be great for creating trees and other foliage.
- Keep in mind that some items will not last long (raspberries) while others will last a while. (butternut squash)
- Don’t worry about how large an item is, you can always change the scale within your artwork. For example, a strawberry can be dramatically enlarged in your artwork.
- Consider arranging the items to simulate how you will compose the landscape.
- You can place a light on the items to create a more believable landscape.
- Play around with where you place the light, look for shadow shapes that interest you.
We recommend doing about 6 small thumbnail sketches to explore a diverse range of options for your composition. Start your first thumbnail sketches with line and think about how you want to place your subject onto the page.
DIGITAL SOFTWARE OPTIONS
Fantasy Landscapes in Procreate
See how you can create a fantasy landscape in Procreate, using a broad range of reference photos. You can dramatically manipulate and transform your reference photos to blend them together into an unusual landscape.
Ballpoint Pen & Watercolor: Imagined Environment
This video shows how to draw an environment from imagination using ballpoint pen and watercolor techniques. Diverse experiences, gathering reference images and objects serve as the inspiration for creating this imaginary environment.
Pen & Ink & Pencil Drawing
Art Prof Clara Lieu and Guest Teaching Artist Song Kang demonstrate Song’s drawing technique to create effects similar to ink wash using pen & ink, pencil, and matt medium. Song creates a lively, imaginative composition based on textures and forms in nature.